11 loose laws for success in 2023:
The basics are simple. But I'm constantly amazed how many people don't follow them. Here's a cheatsheet I give to everyone I mentor:
1. Work/life balance is largely a myth if you want to make a living running your own business, so go hard, and work in a break/treat every few weeks/months.
There are ALMOST ZERO examples of successful entrepreneurs who grew a significant (six figure or above) business on their first try.
RUN when people try and sell you the dream of a “part time, passive income business” They require luck and timing to such a degree they are barely worth mentioning.
I used to struggle a LOT with burnout.
I barely left the house for many years.
It “works” but it’s not much of a life you’re living.
Now, every few weeks I go and have fun with my friends in Hollywood for a couple weeks.
I have the time of my life and by the end of it I’m itching to get back to hustling again, as it should be.
2. Don’t be precious with your content. Most writers and speakers mess this up by keeping the good stuff to themsleves so they get hired, but get hired less because of it
3. Show up on time (or at all!) for meetings, even Skype ones.
Join when you get the alert ten minutes before and wait for them.
Occasionally something comes up and you need to shift it immediately, but amazing how many people are casually late, miss meetings outright and apologize at some point after.
(this is a note to myself too, I used to join the meeting at the time the meeting started then, whoops, my laptop freezes or the link doesn’t work, now you’re playing defense before the call has even begun, eek)
People remember when you are late, not on time!
4. Don’t forget you are an investor, in how you spend your time. Every minute matters- Reading/writing/working on planes, in Ubers, on Friday/Saturday nights- it all adds up to a competitive advantage
5. Cherish having too much to do and too many opportunities. Most people have the opposite problem, and don’t have nearly enough clients/inflow
6. Have a “smell the leather” moment ASAP. I.e. if you wanted a Bentley, you would go to a showroom, sit in the car, smell the leather, to inspire you to eventually buy one.
Another is to go and view million dollar houses to inspire you to one day get it for your family, etc.
I’ve been living in a Hollywood Hills mansion for the past two weeks, “smelling the leather” of the place to remind myself it’s entirely possible, and get the gears grinding in my head: “What do I need to do to get my own mansion like this?”
The view from the back of the place is…something:
7. Frame your personal life, love life, family relationships with the same logic you use to analyze business situations- It takes the sting out of them and helps you put things in their place fast
8. If you find meditation does absolutely nothing and you still have thoughts non-stop, try a floatation tank, known as “meditation on steroids” will help you see the power. Really life-changing stuff
9. Always read and buy info products from people who are experts in fields that can improve your life like relationships, business, diet, exercise, don’t presume you know everything, these people live the stuff you don’t have time to get good at
10 Have five great stories you can tell at conference after parties that are NOTHING to do with business to make people be shocked/laugh/like you. Imagine you’re on Conan.
11. Get back to people QUICKLY, particularly partnerships/sales where they are doing you a favor in some way or other.
What is your number one law for success?
My new book launches soon! Get it free with a two-week free trial!
My first book is *still* the best-ever selling growth hacking book on Kickstarter, eventually doing a little under $250,000 in sales.
My second book made $10,000 in it’s first hour.
My third book (and all future books) will not be for sale.
It will only be available to paid subscribers.
It will be a short, actionable guide on how to make money from Chat-GPT.
Sign up to a two week free trial of my paid Substack and you will receive the book for FREE before the trial ends:
When the “50 ways Chat-GPT can make you $10k+ in 2023” book is ready you will be sent it if you click the above button!
As a reminder, we are building the BEST paid business group on the web.
As a paid subscriber:
You’ll be giving back & supporting me in making more and better posts, and helping me help 1 million entrepreneurs to improve their lives
You’ll get a bonus post every Saturday (and more bonus posts to come)
Access to 11 ebooks (with more added every month)
Access to a Whatsapp accountability group (and future Slack group once I hit 5,000 subscribers)
Huge bonus (never been done before) to be announced
Thank you for reading!
See you in the Whatsapp group!