Rules for life (2023 edition)
It ain't just "doing the business stuff". You have to learn a bunch of other stuff to even make that first part possible. Here's my rules for making that happen:
1. It’s not the world VS you. It’s you VS yourself.
You told everyone you had no time, Corona virus lockdown gave you all the time in the world and you still didn’t do the thing(s) you wanted.
2. Linked to the above, all of personal development can be summarised in five words: “What gets measured gets managed”.
3. The best prayer of all time: “Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference”
Some things are out of your control. Eat the cost (emotional, financial) and move on.
4. Spend many hours working in your room or office. When you step outside, the world is a better place with $ in your pocket.
5. Money buys your way out of 99% of problems. Even if (like me) you don’t ever buy “things” or spend lots, having that one thing is invaluable.
6. Don’t believe the hype from “get rich quick” guru’s: Making money is painful, hard and unpredictable.
But not having it is much more painful and for a much longer time.
Get it out of the way.
7. The world is sadly becoming more and more a place of winners and losers, and Corona Virus has made this even worse.
Changing the system is hard, changing yourself to help others is possible and entirely in your control.
8. Make the world a better place by generously teaching people what you know (that will help them) for free. Don’t get involved in petty point-scoring.
9. Be realistic. If you want to improve the world at a systemic level you will need a bunch of money or power of some sort, or at the very least enough money to not work yourself while you embark on your mission.
Which goes back to: Work hard to earn the assets you’ll need to truly impact millions of people or the group you care about.
10. Resist the urge to always be right.
Let the other person save face and you will become very popular and likeable.